Luis Gomez, a Sephardic Jew, a merchant and trader, was the first
owner of Gomez Mill House, which he built in Marlboro as a trading
post for the new colonists. Other pioneers, fleeing tyranny, and
the cruelties in Europe for the promise of a new life, then settled
in the Hudson Valley.
Wolfert Acker bought Mill House In 1772 and added the elegant
second story, which was made from bricks baked in kilns on the property.
He was a member of the Ulster County Militia and fought during the
American Revolution to win freedom for the colonists.
When Harry Armstrong came to Mill House in 1862 on his honeymoon
he brought his southern bride Maddie and stayed for the next 60
years. A gentleman farmer, he added a new kitchen wing, and planted
orchards of fruit trees and berries to the property.
Dard Hunter, legendary artisan and craftsman bought Mill House
in 1909. During his 7-year residence, Hunter began his lifelong
career in hand papermaking and printing. He built a mill in the
style of a Devonshire cottage. There he experimented with hand milled
paper and produced his early signature work.
America entered the war in 1914, and the Hunter’s first
son, Dard Jr., was born a month later. Thinking he was going into
the service, Hunter sold Mill house in 1919. Hunter wrote in his
autobiography that the house was sold to a representative of the
Russian government and used as a school for children of all races.
He really sold to Ms. Martha Gruening who tried to establish a Libertarian
School at Mill House.
In 1947 the Starin family purchased Mill House with a GI loan.
They raised 4 children here and were instrumental in preserving
its heritage and tradition. After much research and many years of
persistence Mildred Starin successfully placed the Gomez Mill House
on the Historic Register in January 1973.