1714-1748 - Louis Moses Gomez
1748-1772: Duffy and Campbell
1772-1799: Wolfert Acker
1799-1835: John F. and Mary M. Butterworth
1835-1904: Armstrong Family
1862-1904: Wm. Henry (uncle Harry) and wife Sarah Matilda Grayson at Mill House
John D. and Julia Ballard
1912-1918: Dard Hunter
1887-1925: Martha Gruening and Helen Boardman
1926-1945: Lena Spaney and later, Lena Spaney Kohler
1947-1947: McKittrick Family
1947-1984: Starin Family
1984-present: Gomez Foundation
Visitor center spruced up for the season's visitors
Occupants of Mill House
Luis Gomez, a Sephardic Jew, a merchant and trader, was the first owner of Gomez Mill House, which he built in Marlboro as a trading post for the new colonists. Other pioneers, fleeing tyranny, and the cruelties in Europe for the promise of a new life, then settled in the Hudson Valley.
Wolfert Acker bought Mill House In 1772 and added the elegant second story, which was made from bricks baked in kilns on the property. He was a member of the Ulster County Militia and fought during the American Revolution to win freedom for the colonists.
When Harry Armstrong came to Mill House in 1862 on his honeymoon he brought his southern bride Maddie and stayed for the next 60 years. A gentleman farmer, he added a new kitchen wing, and planted orchards of fruit trees and berries to the property.
Dard Hunter, legendary artisan and craftsman bought Mill House in 1909. During his 7-year residence, Hunter began his lifelong career in hand papermaking and printing. He built a mill in the style of a Devonshire cottage. There he experimented with hand milled paper and produced his early signature work.
America entered the war in 1914, and the Hunter’s first son, Dard Jr., was born a month later. Thinking he was going into the service, Hunter sold Mill house in 1919. Hunter wrote in his autobiography that the house was sold to a representative of the Russian government and used as a school for children of all races. He really sold to Ms. Martha Gruening who tried to establish a Libertarian School at Mill House.
In 1947 the Starin family purchased Mill House with a GI loan. They raised 4 children here and were instrumental in preserving its heritage and tradition. After much research and many years of persistence Mildred Starin successfully placed the Gomez Mill House on the Historic Register in January 1973.
In 1984, the Gomez Foundation purchased Mill House, which it administers and supports today. The foundation board includes direct descendants of the historic family owners and other dedicated to the restoration and preservation of Mill House, and to the publics education of its historical significance. The museum staff highlights 5 of the former owners in its presentation and tours of this Hudson Valley treasure.